Matthew is doing better. A lot better today... I guess.  He just got sick right after we put him in the bed but I read that was normal after a surgery like this one. He gave me a scare when the spinal incision began draining last night but it was not spinal fluid.  It has almost stopped now.  He is still sore but every day I can see him getting better.  He has an appointment Friday to get the pump turned up because his legs are very tight. He's not getting enough pumped in right now.  The original appointment was not until July but I knew that was NOT going to work. The nurse was shocked at the low dose he was on and was glad to get us on in.  My mom, dad, daughter, son and granddaughter have been down from TN and NC since we got out of the hospital.  They all have been a tremendous help.  I'll hate to see them go home this weekend. Not sure how I'm going to handle that.  But Matthew is getting better.  Just had a reader comment that her child's bruising & incisions were not nearly as bad as Matthew's.  I will certainly be finding out why his were so bad.  Matthew even has bruises on the top of each of his nuckles on his left hand when the IV was in his left hand. The bruising on his scrotum has faded.  He has a bruise on his inner ankle. I think that's from laying on it too long or being pushed down on during surgery. I would pay a lot of money just to have been a fly on the wall during surgery with a video camera.  (Yes, they make them that small. lol )

Check this out.  Matthew has a whole class of really smart 4th grade kids from Windermere Elementary in Ellington Connecticut that adopted him as a penpal.  I think they are around 9 years old.  Cannot believe how great they are at grammar & spelling. Some of them write better than I do!
He received a banner and some beautiful cards with nicely written letters to Matthew. Some of the cutest had sentences like, "Are you really sick or just a little sick?", "I will put all my thoughts into you. I will think of you every day", "I  hope you get better as soon as possible and get out of the hospital. I don't want a new friend to be in the hospital", "I really, really, really, hope you get well soon", "Don't get upset if the hospital food tastes bad", I had pneumonia in September and the food tasted awful, disgusting, and gross!","They should treat you like a prince or king in ther! Even the ruler of the whole entire word!" "I will definitely make sure my family and I will pray for you. I am positive that everything is fine.", "I'm trying my hardest to pray for you and pray for you," I hope you like the hospital food because sometimes it's not that great."

These are just a few that I picked out but each one was equally as beautifully written and just as special to us as the other.  The art work was phenominal! Wow. I am going to upload some after I do some editing

It really is a blessing for us to get things like this in the mail for Matthew.  There are a lot of people that don't see him as we do. As a whole person.  Sometimes people will walk up and talk to me and not even say anything to Matthew.  Not all of the time but a lot.  Just because he can't speak back or see, they think he won't know the difference.  I have news for all of those that pass by without saying anything. HE DOES know the difference. You see how he is smiling in this picture? Because his great grandma ruth is talking to him after his bath. He knows his ggmaw Ruth! But he can't know you if you don't talk to him and let him hear your voice.

So what I mean to say is there are not a lot of kids or adults that would do this for others. It takes a lot of effort.  For years, I have always been the one to initiate card making for sick friends, family, or deployed military. This is the first time someone has done something like this for Matthew.  So you see why it means a lot to us and Matthew. We are going to make one big book out of all the cards.



0 comments: