It's about time! I have been looking and looking for new and updated therapies to use on Matthew. So far the Physical therapy he gets is just keeping him loose. It's not helping him to walk, crawl or even roll over. I always said I wanted to make sure Matthew got the latest treatments and I'll do whatever I have to do to pay for it. I am expecting a video tape any day now that will explain more about ABR therapy. I have emails from many parents who have their children in an ABR program and they are astounded by the results. I'm not sure what all is envolved but I will know soon. They way I understand it is the "inner" muscles have to be "pumped" up and working before the outer muscles will work which makes sense to me. The diaphram is envolved and so are the inner organs. All those have to be functioning properly for the outer muscles to work. The only thing is that the therapy is only offered in Quebec Canada or Belgium Europe. The cost is 7500.00 for one week of training. That training will be continued at home. That doesn't include airfare, motels, etc. If I think it's worth it, I'll just have to have another fundraiser. If we can raise 2500 in a few hours with little effort, I bet we can raise the funds if we (or I) put in a "lot" of effort. As soon as I find out more I'll post about it. If you are reading this and want to help, email me and let me know. You can even donate something to raffle or sell raffle tickets... Looks like I'm getting ahead of myself but I have heard so many wonderful testimonies about this therapy, I can't help to get excited. Matthew has a lot of potential and I want to see it come out of him. Here are a few things about ABR Therapy. The video tape is suppose to have some "before" and "after" videos included. I was told that I would be shocked. Matthew didn't asked to be born like this so it's up to us to do everything possible to help him live a more comfortable life in the body he has while he is here, no matter what the cost.

Check out this site! Before and After pics. THe Before reminds me so much of Matthew.
"http://www.abrbelgium.com/index.htm"


Testimonials (Some from people I talk to in our support groups)

http://www.fondationnicolastrozzo.com/Testimonials.htm

What is ABR ?

ABR stands for Advanced Bio (biology) mechanical (mechanics) Rehabilitation.

What is ABR?

ABR is your hands-on set of tools for changing your child’s body structure.

ABR is a significant breakthrough in the field of brain injury, which opens a new range of opportunities for the structural recovery of muscoloskeletal system and restoration of motor functions in normal spontaneous ways.

Keywords in ABR language.

predictable changes into the structure
control over the plasticity of muscular and skeletal systems
hierarchical progress of motor functions
development of bio-mechanical maturity


ABR makes you a sculptor of your child’s body.

ABR is ...

Rehabilitation states that this approach aims at recovery of physical and social abilities of the persons whose motor functions are seriously impaired.

Biomechanical is the term describing mechanical properties of biological systems. It also identifies the biomechanical philosophy of analysis of living beings as opposed to bioelectrical (neurology) and biochemical (metabolism) philosophies that currently dominate medical science.

Advanced makes the claim that ABR is a significant step forward compared with other approaches aimed at motor functions rehabilitation. In fact, ABR allows a new dimension in the treatment of the most severe motor dysfunctions.


Does ABR look for functional goals?

Yes, of course it does.



After all, this is what everybody wants –



To see their children speaking, walking and doing normal

things with their hands, etc.



However, ABR believes that before achieving the functional results in the motor skills of your child, the underlying structure of the muscular and skeletal system has to be "good enough" for the performance of unrestricted movements..


Stop blaming the brain!

Recovery of electrical connections
FOLLOWS

bio-mechanical reconstruction.

ABR does not disregard the importance of proper electrical integration in the brain. Without such re-integration the motor function recovery is impossible.

To “repair” the brain would be nice but it is still science fiction.

The essence of ABR philosophy is very simple - stop blaming the brain!
The last 500 years has shown very little progress in the rehabilitation of motor function in cases of brain injuries.

We believe the majority of the medical professionals understand that the results are poor but they have chosen to blame the wrong cause for this.

ABR statements are as follows:



Ø Irreversibility of initial structural brain damage does not make the situation with motor function recovery intrinsically hopeless.

Ø The brain damage is not a critical obstacle for successful bio-mechanical reconstruction as long as the musculoskeletal system is addressed in a bio-mechanically proper way.

Ø The attempts to “repair” the brain do not have to be the first and primary goal.

Ø Even a “structurally repaired” brain would be unable to develop electrical integration necessary for proper motor functions unless the bio-mechanical structure of the musculoskeletal system has been restored.

Ø The brain has so much electrical plasticity that it will take care of arranging the necessary electrical connections to integrate bio-mechanical structural improvements of the musculoskeletal system.

0 comments: