January 6, 2006
We saw the doctor yesterday and Surgery is scheduled for the 24th. We have to be in on the 23rd for a PH probe to see how much if any acid reflux he has. If he has it he'll have to get his stomach wrapped to prevent acid reflux. The doctor didn't tell us one thing we didn't already know about the surgery. Me and mom just looked at eachother like yea, we knew that. lol The good thing is the surgery is done laproscopically. Only one tiny incision if he only needs the tube but 4 tiny incisions if he needs the reflux procedure. He still gets to eat by mouth if he want's too! I will continue to feed him a little by mouth every day if he's not sick, coughing or gagging. Hopefully he'll keep the ability to swallow but the doctor says that gets worse as they get older. I gotta go, got lots of stuff to do!
CHarlotte

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was really scared and did not know what to expect when Leah had her g-tube and nissen placement when she was only 7 months old. But I was sure glad she had it done or she would had probably died of malnutrition. She started to refuse to eat because of severe pain. I was still breastfeeding and she would arch back during feeding. I didn't know at the time but she was having pain from acid reflux. She had stopped crying when she was four months so I could not know if she was hurting. Knowing that she is able to get the
nutrition she desperately needs and her meds in her on time is actually comforting to me. I was so worried when she would not eat. A heads up: learn how to replace the g-tube, hopefully he received a mickey button which is really nice and easy to change. I change Leah's every three months.

Keep it clean by using Q-tips dipped in half-water half-peroxide or however your doctor instructs you. I change the guaze a least twice a day.

Take care,

Elena, mom to Leah 3 yrs severe PMG, g-tube dep, spastic quadraplegia, s/p VNS placement, Lauren 18 yrs, and Emilio 12 yrs.