The tendons are very tight. Even with physical therapy, Botox, hippotherapy and water therapy they have not gotten worse but not better. The doctor at Shriners said that she could guarantee that they would eventually pop all the way out of socket as he got older. The ball joints are actually further apart from the hip sockets that I could draw them. When he stands, you can't hardly get a flat palm between them.
We've been avoiding the surgery because of the seriousness of it. It will mean 3-4 days hospital stay. He will be put in a hip Spika cast. That's going to be a nighmare in itself. After six weeks we go back and stay for two weeks of intense physical therapy.
I am comfortable with the surgery being done at Shriners. They know what they are doing and If I had any questions they answered them all and then some. Unlike the hospital in Jackson where they sent Matthew home with Pneumonia and a fever. I also found out that they never consulted with his Neurologist or Endochrinoligist or even did a levels test on all the seizure meds he has to take. That is a MUST for me before Matthew has any type of surgery but I had to learn the hard way. Shriners requires a Consent form from both of those doctors before they will do any type of surgery on a child. They have to have a levels test exactly seven days before surgery.
I feel everthing is going to be fine but I know from what I have heard that its going to be rough but it's going to be worth it. He's a tough little guy and I have no doubt he'll do more than we ever thought he would after the surgery. Even if it just keeps him out of pain or makes him able to sit or walk better in his walker it will be worth it.
Im going to bed. Im not feeling well. Hope Im not getting sick. I don't have time for it.
Charlotte

0 comments: